Memberships will renew automatically in GiveNow, so you can choose to let that process happen with no action required on your behalf. Of course, you may choose to also contact your members ahead of their renewal date using your own member communication methods. Please note: If an organisation increases the price of the membership, the organisation is responsible for communicating that to existing members.
For annual memberships, GiveNow will send them a reminder two weeks before the payment is due to be deducted from their account.
During the automatic renewal, the member's credit card will be charged for the upcoming membership period.
One-off memberships will not automatically renew.
- The GiveNow platform will attempt to process a failed membership payment three times on consecutive days.
- If the credit card details are updated during those three days and there are sufficient funds available, the membership renewal will be successful, and the original member anniversary date will not change.
- If a membership has failed for three consecutive attempts, then the member will need to update their credit card details in MyGiving to pay for and reactivate their expired membership, and the original member anniversary date will not change.
- If a membership has expired for more than 12 months, then updating the credit card details will trigger renewals for multiple years, and the payments will be processed on consecutive days.
Fixed renewal dates
- Fixed renewal dates are an option for annual membership renewals.
- If a fixed renewal date is applied to a membership after it has been purchased, the renewal date for existing members will take some time to come into alignment.
- We recommend you communicate with your existing members before applying a fixed renewal date to their membership, because the change may mean they are charged for membership more than once in 12 months.
Example of impact on renewal date changed from anniversary to fixed
- Membership B68 purchased 1 November 2022; due to renew in 12 months on the anniversary of purchase.
- Membership B68 auto-renews on 1 November 2023. Next renewal due date is 1 November 2024.
- On 1 February 2024, renewal date is changed to Fixed by organisation so that all new memberships start and renew on 1 July each year.
- Membership B68 renews on 1 November 2024. Next renewal due date is 1 July 2025.
- Membership B68 renews on 1 July 2025. Next renewal due date is 1 July 2026.