As the world responds to the rapidly evolving challenges presented by the COVID-19 virus, many not-for-profit organisations need your support.
While almost every sector of society has been affected, as is the case in most emergencies, Not-for-Profits are on the frontline, providing support and cheer to those in need. If you have the means to do so, this is your chance to ensure that many of the causes that you have supported in the past continue to survive, by donating to one of the organisations listed below.
For advice on how to give during the COVID-19 crisis, see our help page on the topic.
As individuals and groups of physically-isolated friends, you can get create and broaden support for your chosen cause by establishing a CrowdRaiser here (for organisations using GiveNow on the Basic or Pro plans).
A fantastic idea for a CrowdRaiser is a 'virtual Friday work drinks'. Donate the price of your usual Friday post-work pub drinks to the CrowdRaiser while you have a virtual get-together with your colleagues, whilst enjoying your cheaper home drinks!
Other ways to help financially
Supporting small businesses in your local area (or businesses that deliver more widely) is a great way to help them remain afloat. Perhaps you could do next week's grocery shopping at your local independent grocery shops, or get your usual Friday dinner after work from a small take-away restaurant down the road.
If you don’t have money to spare, or if you want to give more than money, there are lots of other ways you can give. Some COVID-19-specific giving ideas include:
- Giving blood – The Blood Bank is urging any blood donors to keep their regular appointments if they are fit and well enough to do so – see more information here. Of course, if you do go out to give blood make sure you keep your distance from others (and wash your hands).
- Getting to know your neighbours – Local networks are more important than ever right now. Drop a note in your neighbours’ letterboxes with your phone number letting them know you’re around to help (or chat) if needed, and/or consider joining your local Good Karma Network or a Kindness Pandemic Group (or forming your own).
- Share what you have – Don’t join the ranks of those buying more than they need. This does nothing but empty the shelves and is particularly disadvantageous to people on small incomes who are unable to stock up. Instead of hoarding, consider sharing what you have with others (if you had a rush of blood to the head and suddenly found yourself with a surplus of toilet paper or pasta, perhaps offer some to your neighbours?)
- Volunteer – There is a massive strain on organisations that usually rely on volunteers, as many are in self-isolation, as explained in this article.
A good start is to register with your state or territory Volunteering peak body.
In Queensland, join the Care Army "to lend a hand to seniors and people most at-risk during this pandemic, while continuing to practice social distancing techniques." Details here.
MarionLife in SA is calling for volunteers to help people stay connected.
Make scrubs for people who need them. See The Scrubs Co-op facebook page for information on how you can help.
Offer your help to (or seek help from) your neighbours by becoming an Angel Next Door.
- Start a crowdfunder – Now could be the perfect time to start training (in a solitary fashion) for that marathon you always wanted to run or to grow that enormous beard. Set yourself a challenge and invite your friends to support you in your quest, while supporting a good cause at the same time. Get started here.
- Stay at home – Staying at home (and keeping your distance from others when you absolutely can’t do that) is the most precious gift you can give to your community right now. The diagram below shows how what you do now will have a huge impact on how the COVID-19 pandemic plays out across Australia over coming weeks and months.
Organisations: please tell Good360 what you need.
Good360 is a matchmaker, connecting brand new non-perishable goods donated by businesses to Australians who need them most. Good360 is committed to supporting communities most affected by COVID-19. To ensure they get the right goods to the right people at the right time, please complete this short survey and them what you need. The survey will only take about 6 minutes to complete and will help them to help your community.
Good360 will use your feedback to source essential products from their generous supporters including BIG W, SC Johnson, Colgate Palmolive, BIC, WINC, Catch.com and many more.
Click this link to start the survey - https://www.getfeedback.com/r/TALRleOq/
This list of COVID-19 related causes will be updated constantly.
How to join this list?
- Organisations that already use GiveNow should follow these instructions to set up a COVID-19 related cause. If you already have a COVID-19 appeal that is not yet listed, email us at email@example.com
- Organisations that are new to GiveNow can sign up and list their cause here
- If you are a member of the public and believe that we are missing an important cause, please get in contact with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
GiveNow causes providing support to groups affected by COVID-19
Support your favourite GiveNow Cause
If your favourite organisation uses GiveNow, but doesn't have a specific COVID-19 cause listed above, you can still support them by:
- Searching for them and making a one-off or regular donation
- Starting a CrowdRaiser on their behalf (if they are using GiveNow Basic or Pro Plan)
We're working as a team through this crisis
This page is one of the ways the Our Community Group is working to support not-for-profits through the COVID-19 crisis, as part of a major #SaveOurSector campaign.
You can learn more and find free resources and tools at www.ourcommunity.com.au/saveoursector